Edmonton buildings are given historic standing
EDMONTON – Edmonton officials have granted historic status to two buildings.
The city council announced that both Strathcona Garage and Nye Residence will receive funding for the renovation costs.
Known in the years after the Strathcona Garage was built in 1912, the city has transformed from being a luxury item for the elite to something many Edmontonians could afford.
The Strathcona Garage was built in the Queen Alexandra neighborhood in 1912. The city noted that the building itself, while relatively simple, featured ornate trim such as arched entrances with decorative keystones and crenellated parapets to emphasize the grandeur of the car ownership.
“I can imagine what it might have been like in its prime for professionals walking past this showroom to see the latest models of cars and wondering if they would ever get the chance to own such a remarkable piece of technology,” said Principal Heritage Planner Scott Ashe in a statement.
The city added for these reasons that the Strathcona Garage is a classic example of an early 20th century car dealership with commercial services on the first floor, including showroom and repair facilities, and apartment suites on the second floor.
Built in 1914, the Nye Residence is a one and a half story Craftsman style home whose first residents, Frank and Harriet Nye, moved from Michigan to Edmonton in search of a new life. Frank teamed up with WF Miller to create Nye-Miller Co. Ltd. Founded an office supplies retailer that evolved into the Miller Office Group.
The building has remained unchanged except for a small extension in the 1930s. The building also had internal heating and electricity installed when these services were available.
Strathcona Garage owners will receive a grant of up to $ 500,000 from the City Reserve Fund for Historic Resources to support the building’s renovation costs. The current owners of the home in Nye are receiving a little over $ 56,000 to help with renovation costs for the structure.
The city’s historic resource management plan has been in place since 1985. During this time, 164 properties were reported.