4 historic buildings reflecting Edmonton’s early years given historic designation

Buildings are examples of Edmonton’s early growth and connection with the river valley.

The City of Edmonton released details on four buildings that will receive historic designation.

“It’s exciting to see these new heritage designations,” said Senior Planner Erik Backstrom. “Edmontonians are keen to preserve the heritage and architecture of our city, and the City is proud to support this effort through our heritage funding.”

The City’s Historic Resource Management Plan outlines the City’s mission to identify, protect and promote the preservation and use of historic resources. Since the plan was initiated in 1985, 175 properties, including the four listed here, have been designated, with more designations planned in the future.

The Stone House and Summer Kitchen were built around 1929 on the Keillor Farmstead in an area now partially occupied by the Whitemud Equine Centre. dr Fred Keillor, a city coroner and two-term alderman, believed in the benefits of outdoor recreation and opened his property to the public for recreational uses as well as access to the river. The Stone House and Summer Kitchen are unique in that they are built of stone rather than log, unlike the original 1918 Keillor Cabin, which sits immediately to the north of the buildings. This sort of construction is known as “parkitecture” and is common in National Parks in both Canada and the United States.

The Stone House and the Summer Kitchen are owned by the City of Edmonton and are leased by the Whitemud Equine Center Association. The Stone House will receive a grant of $300,000 from the Heritage Resources Reserve to help with the required rehabilitation. The Summer Kitchen will receive a grant of $100,000 from the Reserve. The City will fund all other costs through the capital profile for the project.

The Figg Residence is a one-and-a-half storey house located in Bonnie Doon. The house, built around 1914, was originally part of a farm near today’s Bonnie Doon Mall, but was moved to its current location in 1927. The original owners were Ernest and Ethel Figg who moved into the house when it was at its original location. They relocated the house when Ernest returned to the city after the First World War.

The Figgs had four children, two of whom, Arthur and Ernest, died in action while fighting with the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. The owners of the Figg Residence will receive a grant of $90,420.86 from the Heritage Resources Reserve to help fund the required rehabilitation to the building.

The Stein Residence was built in 1912 in the Westmount neighborhood. The house is an excellent example of the Craftsmen style of architecture. The one-and-a-half storey home was built for Joseph and Jennie Stein and their daughter Ruth, as well as Jennie’s parents.

Joseph worked as a salesman for the Hamilton Mine Company and later did sales for companies such as the Edmonton Brewing and Malting Company, the Great West Saddlery and the Great West Garment Company. Joseph died in 1944 and Jennie rented rooms in the house to supplement her income until her passing in 1968. The owners of the Stein Residence will receive grant funding in the amount of $100,000 from the Heritage Resources Reserve to rehabilitate the building.

Comments are closed.